I've started a part time job with the Alpine Club of Canada and I love it! Although probably not a typical work day - I was asked if I wanted to join the maintenance crew for a day getting some of the ACC huts ready for the winter season. HECK YES I DO! We tried to go on Thursday, but the helicopter couldn't fly from Golden due to weather. But I had a great day, all bundled up trying to stay warm as my body was still adjusting to spending a month under the sun in East Africa. We unloaded wood & supplies at the heli base waiting for the sound of the chopper until finally the unanimous decision to go for coffee was announced...genious! We spent 2 extended coffee breaks in a really cute coffee shop in the tiny town of Field, BC before finally calling it a day at 2:00 and heading back to Canmore. It was a no fly day, but still great. I got to hang out at Takikaw Falls, drink coffee, re-adjust to the Canadian climate and be so incredibly thankful.
But it gets better - we re-scheduled for Monday. So here's a few photos of me in near-heaven.
We started the day again in Field for coffee (I like this tradition and feel quite spoiled). It was blue skies and sunny, but the helicopter still wasn't flying...they said it was weather - we were a bit skeptical and fairly sure that they just got a new cappuccino machine. They eventually flew at 12:00. We did the helicopter briefing, loaded the gear and our first stop was the Stanley Mitchell Hut. It's beautiful. I emptied a barrel of grey water to fly out and did a few other random jobs as the helicopter flew slings of wood, propane and other stuff in & out. We then flew over to the Fay Hut to pick up some tools (it's newly re-built and really nice). And the final stop was Elizabeth Parker in Lake O'Hara. I stocked wood and empited another grey water barrel here. I love workprojects. I love being in the mountains. I love huts....basically, it was an incredible day!
4 comments:
I can't see your pictures and I really want to. So what is the scoop on our hut trip in February, I am ABSOLUTELY all in, regardless of what life obstacle may come in my way...I am there. I miss you so much.
hoorah for enabling comments! now find a way to make the pictures work!
that sounds about right.
I love your life...can I come?
Post a Comment